If you love your dog, you probably want to give them the best treats possible. But store-bought dog cookies can be expensive, unhealthy, or full of artificial ingredients.
That’s why I decided to bake my own healthy dog cookies at home, and I’m going to show you how you can do it too!
Baking your own dog cookies is easy, fun, and rewarding. You can customize the ingredients to suit your dog’s preferences and dietary needs.
Disclaimer: The medical/health information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Read more.
You can also save money and reduce waste by using up leftover food or scraps. And best of all, you can bond with your furry friend by sharing a delicious homemade treat.
Here are the basic steps to bake your own healthy dog cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together some whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. You can also add some optional extras like peanut butter, pumpkin puree, grated cheese, or chopped bacon for extra flavor and nutrition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together an egg and some water. You can also use chicken broth, beef broth, or milk instead of water for more moisture and taste.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well until a dough forms. You may need to add more flour or water to adjust the consistency.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 6 mm (1/4 inch) thick. Use a cookie cutter or a knife to cut out shapes of your choice. You can also use a fork to make patterns on the cookies if you like.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before storing them in an airtight container or freezing them for later use.
That’s it! You’ve just baked your own healthy dog cookies that your pup will love. Enjoy!